Welcome to the Marcham Society website!
The Marcham Society was founded in 1994 to encourage community interest in the history, natural history and environment of the village and the local area. We arrange eight evening meetings each year with talks by guest speakers or members. There are monthly walks and group visits to local places of interest. Projects include local history, building recording, coppicing and surveys of the churchyard, hedgerows, birds, and butterflies.
The ammonite, Perisphinctus pickeringius, symbol of the Marcham Society, is a local geological reference. The original named specimen was found in Marcham. Local Corallian limestone contains many such fossils.
We meet on the second Tuesday of the month in All Saints' Church at 7.45pm. Subscription Rates: Single £12, Family £21
Change of date for Midweek walk to
Friday 13th March
Marcham Remembered a village in pictures was published in November 2009 to critical acclaim. You can buy a copy directly from Marcham Society (see our publications page) or from
- Marcham Village Shop and Post Office, North Street, Marcham (Mon-Fri 07.30 - 18.00 / Sat-Sun 08.00 - 13.00)
- Cumbers Farm Shop, Manor Farm, Mill Road, Marcham (Mon-Sat 10.00 - 13.00)
- Abingdon Museum (Open Tue-Sun 10.00 - 16.00)
- Mostly Books and The Bookstore in Abingdon
- or by visiting www.thematic-trails.org/oxfordshire-landscapes.htm to buy online. (Our book is approximately halfway down the page.)